EMT and Paramedic Scholarships in Texas

Are you interested in a scholarship that would pay for you as a student or your employees (if you are an EMS employer) to go through EMT, AEMT or Paramedic school AND provide employment upon graduation?

The State of Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) is offering scholarships through their Regional Advisory Councils (RAC) to cover:

  • Education (tuition)
  • Books
  • Necessary materials
  • One (1) attempt on the NREMT exam

Scholarships provide funding up to the following amounts per course:

  • $2,000 – Emergency Medical Technician (includes $98 fee for NR exam)
  • $3,200 – Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (includes $136 fee for NR exam)
  • $8,000 – Paramedic (includes $152 fee for NR exam)

In exchange for this scholarship, students must agree to:

  • Work 1 year on an ambulance for EMT training
  • Work 2 years on an ambulance for Paramedic training

What type of courses are eligible?

EMS scholarships can be applied to an EMT, Advanced EMT or Paramedic course using the following delivery types

  • In-person
  • Online
  • Hybrid (combines online lectures with in-person skills)

What does the scholarship pay for?

The EMS scholarship can be used for:

  • Education
  • Books
  • Necessary materials
  • One (1) attempt on the NREMT exams

What CANNOT be paid for using scholarship funds?

The scholarship does NOT pay for:

  • Student uniform
  • Required equipment
  • Mileage
  • Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) application fee for EMT or Paramedic*
    • ECA or EMT $64
    • AEMT or Paramedic $96
  • A 2nd or 3rd attempt at the NREMT exam

What other requirements are there?

Class Length:

  • EMT classes must be completed in 120 days
  • AEMT classes must be completed in 240 days
  • Paramedic classes must be completed in 365 days


The NREMT exam must be completed by the student within 90 days of course completion


The commitment period (owed to the EMS agency or Fire Department) must start within 90 days of the completion of the course


Agencies must have:

  • A valid Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, EIN)
  • Be in good standing with the state
  • If applicable, franchise tax account status must be active


These funds are not to be used outside of annual budgetary process by the EMS Sponsoring Agency

EMS agency will typically try 3 times to get the student to pay back their debt to the state if they quit or dropped out of the class.  After that, the student will be referred to the RAC.

What if the student does not complete the course or does not complete the required commitment for repayment?

Contact your local Regional Advisory Council for assistance with completing the agreed commitment requirements.

May time employed or volunteering with my local fire department on the fire truck or rescue unit count toward the volunteer or employment commitment?

Per CATRAC, you may only count time volunteering or employed on a Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) licensed ambulance.

What happens if someone becomes injured on or off the job and cannot complete the commitment to volunteer or work on an ambulance?

If an extenuating circumstance were to occur, contact CATRAC (or your local RAC) for assistance. CATRAC (or your local RAC) will facilitate a decision from TDSHS.

For More Information